Just by coincidence I tried to register with Twitter on the same day that CNN ran a story about someone using sending a tweet from a jail in Egypt, thus alerting his friends that he needed help. I kept getting a message that said "Twitter is over capacity. Too many tweets." I figured this overload was due to the extra publicity that day, but I've gotten the same message several times since. Finally I was able to register, and I signed up to follow two of our fellow bloggers who are already happily twittering away. I was thwarted once again, however, when I tried to add a picture to my Twitter profile. I got another "too busy, try again later" message. I'm glad I wasn't in jail in Egypt at the time.
Obviously this is a hugely successful service, but I can't think of many applications for our present day library responsibilities except to facilitate one-on-one communication between particular staff members. And that could be fun, like the tweeter exchanges that are currently going on.
And hmmm... If the vehicle for Shared Collection communication was tweets instead of a blog, I could send out updates every hour (too many cookbooks! take some!) and be as annoying as a gnat. :)
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment