Friday, May 16, 2008

Exploration 5: Library Thing

Here's a link to my Library Thing catalog:

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/theothers23

Years ago I kept a box of story time index cards. Every time I encountered an appealing JP with, say, a moose in it, I would dutifully note it on the index card for "moose." Then when I was ready to do a moose story time, I'd have my list of books. But, if the book had more than one potential theme, I'd have to write it on more than one card. I could do the same thing (way more efficiently) by the tags selected for my Library Thing entries. Very cool!


Also it's a great memory jog for other things...like what WAS that funny mystery I read about the biographer who lives in California. The tags you select are totally your own association with an item, making them easy to recall.

3 comments:

AimeeReads said...

I like your idea about using Library Thing for story times. What a great way to spend slow time at the desk, by finding and keeping track of story time books!

A. L. said...

I, too, like the idea of having a storytime-specific LibraryThing. Plus, if you could have people in other branches contribute, the collection of items could get very large and it could be a really powerful tool for planning programs.

hravan said...

I'm trying to put all the Y and J books I read in my library thing so that I can remember them for reader's advisory. Using it for storytime is a great idea. I have "theme" pages in a folder and when I find a good book I write it on all the theme pages it applies to.